Every mobile developer knows the importance and impact that design has on applications. In particular, Android developers in any mobile app development company Dubai face greater difficulty in creating visual components with beautiful design using the view standards that the platform framework offers. They are many simple, especially if compared to iOS, main competitor. In the latest versions of Android, Google has made several changes to improve the design of applications by launching the material design. Knowing it is useful because we will understand how we can make use of Google’s new visual standard, making it possible to develop more intuitive applications.
Although the largest share of the market is occupied by Android, a recurring criticism concerns the quality of the applications available in Google Play (official store for Android applications), mainly in relation to the visual layer of these applications. In part, this is due to the ease the company offers for developers to make their applications available in-store.
Known for its ability to create software, Google has decided to pay more attention to the design of its own applications. The work, although simple, is based on studies and has a great impact on the way components are elaborated, applying shadows, lights, bright and colored colors, shapes and animations to notions of depth, perspective and focus. In comparison to the real world, these techniques reproduce in the virtual world “things” that our brain is already accustomed to perceiving in the physical world, which is of course a 3d world.
Therefore, the work developed is designed on the X, Y and Z axes (width, height and depth). It is essential to use the Z axis, as it brings the 3D world into the virtual environment. As the same design material mentions, the term material indicates the metaphor used. It is very easy for people to identify, for example, papers on a table, what is above, below, near, far, greater, smaller, etc. That was the concept that Google used in its applications. Based on things, i.e. materials, the material design goes beyond the beauty aspect.
It is worth mentioning that based on the reference document, it is possible to apply the techniques taught to applications regardless of platform, Mobile or Web Apps, as Google itself uses in their applications such as Gmail.
The guide developed is based on the following principles:
- Material is the metaphor: the material is inspired by paper and ink study
- Intuitive Surfaces: This feature allows developers to use borders to provide directions on how to interact with objects made available on the interface;
- Dimensionality and iteration: developers can make use of lighting, surface and motion features to indicate to users how they can interact with objects;
- Adaptive Design: A basic outline framework arranges associations and space, enabling every gadget to mirror an alternate perspective of a similar framework. This is done in light of the particular requirements of every gadget;
- Content is strong, graphic and intentional: this allows dealing with issues associated with hierarchy, meaning and focus of visual components;
- Color, surface, and iconography emphasize actions: through this feature, different functionalities can be easily identified through color, shape and position on the screen;
- Users start the change: changes in the interface are initiated and appropriately reflect user actions
- Animation is choreographed on a shared stage: the purpose here is not to undermine the user experience, ensuring that all action happens in the same environment;
- Movement gives meaning: with this characteristic, one seeks focus the user’s attention and maintain the continuity of their actions.
It is worth remembering that the hardware is undoubtedly the main responsible for the agility of the device, but it is not the only one. The software also plays an important role, as well as graphics, which mark the most varied transitions in the use of the device. That is, with each click, some type of animation transitions the user interface from one screen to the other.