Becoming a mother is one of the most cherished moments in a woman’s life. The joy of giving life to a part of yourself is a feeling unmatched by anything else. A beautiful and magnificent phase, pregnancy is a time when all the mommies-to-be lead a pampered life and plan the welcome of the baby. As you indulge in the celebrations of pregnancy, it is important to keep in mind that you are now eating for two and need a well nourished diet.
As you become conscious of every meal you eat, you start weighing the nutritional value of all products around you. Your body, in pregnancy requires additional vitamins, minerals and nutrients for proper development and growth of the baby. Healthy food for pregnancy does not entail doubling your intake of calories. You need to plan smartly and ensure that you are consuming essential supplements.
Listed below are a few food options that you should stick by during your pregnancy. They will ensure that you start your baby’s food journey with a healthy and enriched diet.
1. Dairy Products: Consumption of proteins and calcium assist in proper nourishment of the growing foetus. Dairy products provide large amounts of phosphorus, vitamin B, zinc and magnesium. Yogurt is one such wonder food that is extremely beneficial for pregnant ladies. The calcium content in yogurt is higher than any other dairy product. Some varieties of yogurt contain probiotic bacteria that support the digestive system and ensure proper functioning. It helps in reducing complications such as gestational diabetes, vaginal infections, preeclampsia and allergies.
2. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are a rich source of beta-carotene, which is a form of vitamin A, essential for growth and development of cells and tissues in the body. Pregnant ladies are advised to increase their intake of vitamin A by 10-40%. Sweet potatoes also contain fiber which reduces blood sugar spikes, increases fullness and improves digestive health.
3. Eggs: Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrients. They contain a bit of everything your body needs in terms of nutrients. A single large egg contains about 77 calories and high quality protein and fat. Eggs are also a great source of choline which is essential for many processes in your body including brain development and health.
4. Leafy Greens: Dark green vegetables such as kale and spinach contain many nutrients that are required by pregnant women. They include fiber, vitamins C, K and A, calcium, iron, folate and potassium that makes them one of the best foods for pregnancy. They are also rich in antioxidants that benefit the immunity and digestive system. Consuming green leafy vegetables also reduces the risk of low birth weight in babies which is a major concern for most mothers to be.
5. Whole Grains: Consuming whole grains helps pregnant women meet the increased requirement of calories during the second and third trimester. Whole grains are packed with fibre, vitamins and plant compounds. Oats contain a fair amount of proteins that are essential in pregnancy. You can consume oats cereal by Slurrp Farm to meet this requirement. They are healthy organic products that help you get the right nourishment you need during pregnancy.